How to promote Python in the Federal government?

Kim Petersen kp at kyborg.dk
Mon Mar 3 13:00:40 EST 2003

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Stephen Ferg wrote:
>
>> Currently, the level of Python-awareness in the Federal government (or
>> at least at my agency in Washington DC) is extremely low.  Most
>> programmers and managers aren't even aware of the existence of a
>> programming language named "Python".  Most managers are barely aware
>> of open-source software, and would never switch to open-source from
>> Microsoft for fear of "lack of support"!
>

> People who have successfully introduced Python into their organization
> often reported that they succeeded by showing that Python helps to solve
> real problems. Speaking in the abstract about how great the language
> isn't very convincing: everybody has heard dozens of advertisements of
> new technology, just to see that technology disappear or get superceded
> a few years later. So people are very careful, and rightfully so.

I agree with the above - but in addition to this - in my company the
turning point was a kind of wager.... i first introduced Python like
above, but then as the final coup d'etat i asked if i could borrow a
programmer (not a good one - he said he did "household" programming in
Visual Basic pretty well) for 14 days .. so we gave him a task, some
tutorials on Python - one person to ask - and the concept Tkinter (via Pmw).

14 days later he had a working program - and i had a convinced audience ;-)

--
Med Venlig Hilsen / Regards

Kim Petersen - Kyborg A/S
IT - Innovationshuset