ReportLab, PDF and Latin-1 characters

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 13 11:42:34 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:47:24 +0100, in comp.lang.python you wrote:

>Hi - yes, it's me again :)
>
>Being a native danish speaker, we are blessed with three extra letters
>:)
>Working with pdfgen, i get

Well, I wrote pdfgen, and can tell you it doesn't DO Unicode
yet :-)  If you pass in an 8-bit string, and the string matches
the encoding of the font, it should work.  The default encoding
of the standard fonts is Latin-1.

Exactly what Python are you using?  Did you download it
or could it be an in-house build? AFAIR there is a way to enable
'Unicode strings everywhere' either as a compiler option or in
the environment, but I'd have to look at the docs.

Can you just try executing this in a script (with no reportlab in
sight):

  myString = 'æøå'
  print myString

and see if you get an error?

Also try running reportlab/lib/codecharts.py like this:

  C:\code\reportlab\lib>codecharts.py
  saved codecharts.pdf

It should generate a PDF document with Latin-1 code
charts on page 1.  If not let me know.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson
(ReportLab Inc)