Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) me at privacy.net
Mon Mar 24 18:00:23 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Actually, "I ate three slices of birthday cake today" *DOES* leave it
> unspecified whether it was slices of the same cake or of different ones,

I think, if the difference mattered, the speaker would say
something like "I ate slices from three different birthday
cakes today". Otherwise I'd tend to assume they were from
the same cake.

But that's just a default assumption -- it *could* mean
different cakes, as in "I ate three slices of birthday
cake today. From three different cakes!"

Hmmm, okay, so it seems English and Chinese are equipotent
at cake cardinality specification... or something.

Maybe-we-should-all-switch-to-Lojban-ly,

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,