Squirrelmail or Phpmyadmin in Python?

Michal Kaukic mike at frcatel.fri.utc.sk
Thu Mar 6 12:08:02 EST 2003

---Reply to mail from Max M about Squirrelmail or Phpmyadmin in Python?

> Then I think you would be better of writing your own package in Python.
> You should probably use mod_python, and then start from there. This will
> probably make you understand the problems better than reading someone
> elses code.
>
> In other peoples code is a lot of steps down the wrong path that you
> simply don't see. But these wrong paths often contains a valuable lesson
> for a programmer.

There are many packages done "almost right", except I always ask
"Why this in not done in Python? It would be much easier to do and maintain..."

E.g. I like and use SquirrelMail, Moodle (e-learning environment) and my guess is
that it would be not too difficult to make something with similar functionality
in Python, but based on experience and code from original packages
(preferably also in cooperation with original developers).

Maybe, we (Python community and PSF) should identify high priority projects
and encourage some (mostly young :-) Python programmers to work on  them?
I certainly like to see Python-based webmail, web filemanager
and e-learning environment. But - I am not programmer; all I can
is to promote Python in my neighbourhood (which I do).

                                                Mike