ANN: Ballot for Complementary PEP308 Ternary VOTE

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Mar 4 21:48:41 EST 2003

Norman Petry wrote:

> This is NOT a ballot for the "official" PEP-308 vote being run by
> Raymond Hettinger.  It is for a different vote that is intended to
> COMPLEMENT the results of the official vote, by using a different type
> of ballot, and a different method of tallying the results (Condorcet's
> Method), for those who may be interested.  If enough people choose to
> participate, it will provide a high-quality source of additional
> information about the preferences of the Python community regarding
> the
> ternary operator.

In my opinion this is a very bad idea.  All a second concurrent vote is
going to do is create more confusion about which vote is official,
whether people have already voted, etc.

Whether one is satisfied with the current _official_ voting process
(which many people are not), if you want to conduct additional add-on
voting processes for your own edification, at least wait until the
current one is finished to eliminate confusion.

Saying "This is not the official vote" and "This is a different vote" is
all well and good, but conducting the vote at all is going to great more
confusion than it is going to be worth.  Imagine five or six people
getting the same idea and concurrently conducting their own (unofficial)
votes, all while we're still waiting for the results on the official one
(the only one which counts).

> The two-day nomination period for additional syntax proposals has now
> ENDED.  No additional nominations were received, so the ballot is as
> follows:

Uh, I never even read about any nomination period _beginning_.

/  \ And your daddy died for you / And I'll do the same
\__/ India Arie
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.