No Do while/repeat until looping construct in python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Mar 13 23:16:41 EST 2003

"Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" wrote:

> And this is *such* a common looping pattern that I really
> don't understand why *no* language I can remember seeing
> has explicit support for it.

Indeed.  Most applications of do...while structures I can think of
seeing and using are actually of this form, and often emulate it with
something like (C):

	do
	{
	    ... pre code ...
	    if (test)
	    {
	        ... post code ...
	    }
	} while (test);

Other than just general lack of utility (you already have the structure
easily enough with while True and a break), I think the main aesthetic
reason it would be hard to add a
do...while/repeat...until/whatever...whatever structure is the
awkwardness of having two blocks as a fundamental part of some
structure:

	repeat:
	    statements
	while condition

looks obnoxious through my Pythonic secret decoder glasses.

/  \ Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.
\__/ Charles Ives
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.