Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Mike Silva snarflemike at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 14:43:29 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3E6F114A.BE8D8938 at engcorp.com>...
> Mike Silva wrote:
> >
> > Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3E6E5EEF.F128744B at engcorp.com>...
> > > Anyway, the article doens't necessarily support the conclusion you
> > > appear to be claiming (that static typing produced a factor of 100
> > > improvement in error rates).
> >
> > My only claim was that "Language (including, but not limited to,
> > static typing) definitely makes a difference."
>
> Well, I doubt a Python programmer (Alex included) would claim that
> language makes *no* difference, so if we're down to discussing
> a simple "does" "does not" type of question, we're probably all
> in agreement.  (I don't speak for Alex though, although I can do
> an excellent impersonation of his cat. :-)

OK, but I *have* heard that claim (language choice "isn't relevant,"
or is "insignificant") many times.  The referenced paper says "[the
findings are] an interesting counter to those who maintain that choice
of programming language does not matter," so the authors have
apparently also heard that claim.

If we're all agreed now that such a claim is not plausible, then I'm
happy :-)

Mike