SOAP problems

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Mar 6 12:59:55 EST 2003

Svenne Krap <usenet2002 at krap.dk> wrote in message news:<8jbe6v8r3o6k2sme0e4uja2r4n9fac56pj at 4ax.com>...

> I have installed PyXML and Soapy ( http://soapy.sf.net ) .

[...]

>   File "C:\PROGRA~1\py222\soap.py", line 248, in load_namespaces
>     self.targetns = node.getAttributeNS('','targetNamespace')

[...]

> NamespaceErr: Use None instead of '' for empty namespace
>

> What does I do wrong ? Is there any way to fix it ?

I can imagine that Soapy was written to use the old convention of an
empty string meaning "empty namespace", but in more recent releases of
PyXML the convention is to use None for that purpose. As you can see
from the error and from the line in the traceback that I've quoted,
usage of '' with getAttributeNS (and probably other ...NS methods) is
the cause.

To fix it, I would suggest doing a search for calls of methods whose
names end with NS and where the first argument is the empty string (''
and possibly ""). After testing, you might want to submit patches to
the Soapy project on SourceForge, or the Python Web Services project
if that's more appropriate.

Good luck!

Paul

P.S. You could, of course, downgrade to an old PyXML release, but I
wouldn't recommend that.