In need of a binge-and-purge idiom

Manuel M Garcia mail at manuelmgarcia.com
Wed Mar 26 01:14:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:54:20 -0800, Daniel Timothy Bentley
<dbentley at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Isn't it a general rule that terminators are easier to work with than
>> separators?  I remember some programming guru saying this (Jon
>> Bentley?)  I think it was Pascal's use of separators between
>
>Doubtful.  He can't remember such a thing.
>ObOldPersonMemoryDisclaimer

I guess it could be considered a special case of adding a sentinel at
a boundary (5.1 in 'Writing Efficient Programs').  But that section is
definitely not talking specifically about terminators vs. separators.

Maybe because I have done so much 'multi-dimensional' database
programming, I am acutely aware how separators make for lousy data
structures.

Manuel