Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Mar 20 11:40:20 EST 2003

On Thursday 20 March 2003 02:52, Isaac To wrote:

> As a native Chinese speaker, I find Esperanto *far* from elegant (with a
> lot of rather stupid redundancy like the need to match the case of
> adjectives and nouns, or even just having the concept of tense). =)

Every natural language has redundancy, and it can be argued that this is a
necessary feature for communication in non-optimal conditions. Esperanto has
the same kinds of redundancy as most Indoeuropean languages, which makes them
less visible to some than to others. Assuming that redundancy is indeed
necessary, the absence of redundancy can hardly be a criterion for elegance.
That leaves the question whether some form of redundancy is more elegant than
another one. I have no idea about that...

Konrad.