tracing routes (traceroute)

Joe Brown joe at overdrivepc.com
Sat Mar 22 17:03:44 EST 2003

Thanks JP!
for the timely reply.  The few remaining hairs, are greatful!

DOH -- I went out of my way not to run it as root

Suppose I'm must popen traceroute to achieve the desired results on
Linux...

Off topic:
Is the lowest resolution timer on Linux-Python os.times()[4] ?

-Joe

Jp Calderone wrote:
<http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/ByAuthor/python-list?author=exarkun@intarweb.us>

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 03:17:56PM -0500, Joe Brown wrote:

> I've written a rudimentary traceroute that works well on win32 (python
> 2.2)
> For the little hair left on my head, I can't figure out how to get
> this  thing to work on Linux (python 2.3).  My every attempt to open
> an ICMP  socket on Linux has been ill-fated.  I'm drawing the
> conclusion that  sockets are somewhat broken in this version of python
> on Linux.
> Anyway, this traceroute works pretty good on windows, where it's
> useful,  since window's tracert is rather slow (unless you have two
> nic's  installed into your winbox --go figure

 On linux, you need root permissions to open these kinds of sockets.  I
tried your program as root, and it works