Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Andy Salnikov a_salnikov at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 12:39:13 EST 2003

"Matt Gerrans" <mgerrans at mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:b4jtai$nv8$1 at slb9.atl.mindspring.net...
> Yes, as long as it wasn't pythonw.exe.
>
> Funny thing is, most of us have flown many times and absolutely no clue
what
> software might be involved (if any) in controling various aspects of the
> plane and ground control.
>
> It is also interesting that very advanced nuclear submarines are run
largely
> on good old-fashioned mechanical technology.   They don't want the whole
> thing dependent on computers, because it is too risky.

  Interesting I find this mechanical design closer to C++ static type
checking
than to Python dynamic type checking (I do not like weak/strong type, IMHO
Python is strongly typed language, but it is dynamical). Every mechanical
thing has kind of "interface" and can be joined with only those mechanical
things which respect this "interface" (square peg vs. round hole). Joining
typically happens during the submarine assembly, much like compiling
C++ program. This is one of the reason why mission-critical systems prefer
to use statically typed languages, you can "join" all parts together early
during "asembly" (but it still does not guarantee it will work correctly,
it's
not a complete test of the system, like with the submarine you have to test
every single part ans all parts together).

  Cheers,
  Andy.