Python Distribution for Webserver on netfirms.com

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Sat Mar 22 02:54:00 EST 2003

Chris Gonnerman wrote:
> I have a free account on netfirms.com for my personal use,
> and I'd like to run Python scripts there.  They offer CGI
> access but don't have an installed Python interpreter.
>
> netfirms.com seems to be:
>
>     FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p19
>
> according to uname -a
>
> The problem is, they allow 25 Mb of storage but don't allow
> any files over 1 Mb in size.  This kills using CGIPython
> (which I have done with good results in the past).
>
> What I need is a python interpreter which can be installed
> on my netfirms.com account in pieces (as normal) but which
> will not be in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.
>
> Any suggestions?

1) Find a different free hosting provider with Python support.

or

2) Pay a moderate amount per month for a hosting provider with Python
support. If the ability to execute CGIs isn't worth, say $2 or $3 (or
whatever that costs) a month to you, my guess would be you probably
don't need it ;-)

-- Gerhard