Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Max maxx at easynews.com
Tue Mar 11 13:58:39 EST 2003

On 10 Mar 2003 21:02:34 -0800, hasoob2003 at yahoo.com (Hasoob  ahs) wrote:

>In an interview at http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweak4.html Guido
>van Rossum was asked if "he would be comfortable enough with the
>robustness of Python systems to fly on an airplane in which ALL the
>control software was written in Python". Guido's answer was clear but
>I would like to hear from other Python programmers.
>Would you be comfortable?. Your answer may help me decide between
>strong and weak typing. I prefer an answer of yes or no followed by an
>explanation.

Yes.

The operating system I use (care to guess which one), and it's related
components (especially the web browser) I believe were written in strongly typed
languages. They crash regularly - strong typing apparently does not replace the
need for better testing and QA.

The Python scripts and programs I use (also regularly), almost never fail,
unless the programmer (me) screws something up. Those mistakes rarely have to do
with data types. Logic errors are more common.

As stated in this thread at least a few times, software quality has more to do
with programmer ability, less to due with language choice.