Aspergers link (was Re: PEP 312 - Making lambdas implicit worries me, surely it's just the name 'lambda' that is bad...)

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sun Mar 16 22:19:55 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Randolph" <timothyrandolph at yahoo.com>

news:<JrEca.87817$zo2.2277263 at news2.tin.it>...
> > Stephen Horne wrote:
> > > I have Aspergers disorder, and as a result I have a strong tendency to
> > > overpedantic use and interpretation of language. Back at school in
> >
> > While I've never been diagnosed with any such disorder, I can certainly
> > identify with many (not all) of the symptoms you mention.
>
> Harper's mag ran (May 2002) a fascinating biography of someone with
> Aspergers last year.  It has a lot to say about the disorder and the
> NYC Subway System.
>
> Can be found on the web here:
>
> http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/1824_304/85882845/print.jhtml

How about http://www.asperger.org

I'm one also... although my diagnosis is far from properly
"clinical" I fit the profile pretty snugly.

There's a test (one of several actually) at:

    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

I'm a 33.

On that page it says:

    The test is not a means for making
    a diagnosis, however, and many who
    score above 32 and even meet the
    diagnostic criteria for mild autism
    or Asperger's report no difficulty
    functioning in their everyday lives.

Like many, I have learned to recognize social signals and
simulate them cognitively (whereas "normal" people have
instincts for this)... so the last statement rings a bit
false with me.

There are probably a lot of us on this list who suffer from
Asperger's... it pretty much defines nerdiness.

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net