JMX equivalent in Python

Tim Randolph timothyrandolph at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 16:30:05 EST 2003

Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote in message

>   For those of us no longer (or who never were) in the Java-know, can you
> give some more specifics, maybe some examples?
>
>   The high level overview reads like stereo instructions:
>
> "A JMX manager provides an interface for management applications to interact
> with the agent, distribute or consolidate management information, and
> provide security."
>
>   Come again?

I here you.  I searched for something a bit meatier to point to but
came up empty.  I have looked harder and come up with some decent
links that are below.

JMX seems to be a collision between a component model and SNMP.  One
simple use case is to wrap existing services with an MBean that gives
a standard interface for monitoring and setting attributes for those
services.  In a JMX enabled space it is close to trivial to measure
how much CPU your different services are using.

JBoss has taken this JMX and done something much cooler with it.  They
have built a microkernel around the JMX bus.  After that all the
pieces of J2EE (web container, EJB container, etc) can be hot deployed
as components (Mbeans) on top of the microkernel. This allow dynamic
reconfiguration, netbooting, and very flexible clustering.

This model also allows interceptors as all the intra-app calls are
made via JMX, which allows for some pretty intersing aspect oriented
programming approaches to solving problems that you would like to
configure across resourcs -- like security.

Much more can be found here:

     http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?product_id=%7B583CB44A-AC47-4959-9C01-FA8DF0884EEE%7D

and here:

     http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/02/01/jmx.html

BTW, I am very far from a JMX or J2EE expert.  One of the reasons I
asked the question was to get a measure of this against another
application environment.  It is amazing how often a "breakthrough" in
one space is a "duh" in another.

--Tim