Stupid Python Questions

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 13 09:55:29 EST 2003

JohnFrog wrote:
> 1) Can I call and run DOS executables from a Python script?
Yes. For that matter, you can run nearly anything that you can
run from a command prompt in windows.
There are several ways to do this, such as using:
os.system
os.popen

> 2) Can I easily create a standalone program (1 file) that runs under
> DOS (command prompt) that contains my script and the Python
> interpreter (or just what is needed for my script), so that from an
> end-user perspective it just looks like a DOS executable?
Yes. Although I've never used it, Py2exe seems what you need.
Google for Py2exe.

> 3) Is there a preferred place to download a Python interpreter from?
Yes. Either download the official distribution from www.python.org,
or get the ActiveState version ("ActivePython") from www.activestate.com.
The latter includes the PythonWin windows extensions.
(otherwise a separate download).

Good luck
--Irmen