Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 18:26:35 EST 2003

"Ajay na" <ajay_637 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nope...I'm not trolling...I want someone to give a solid and intelligent
> argument about why I should switch from C++ to Python!

In general, development time is a lot faster in Python, and execution
speed is a lot faster in C++.  How much?  Hard to say, but an order of
magnitide in both cases might not be a bad first guess.

For an amazingly large amount of what most people do, execution speed is
just not a significant factor.  For an amazingly large amount of what
most people do, development time is.  Doesn't it make sense to use
something which is optimized for development time?

Try this.  Count the number of times in the past month your boss has
asked you, "is it done yet?".  Now, count the number of times he's
asked, "how come it runs so slow?".  If "is it done yet?" won, you're
probably a good candidate for Python.

C++ programs also tend to be optimized in the wrong ways.  The low-level
nature of the language encourages people to worry about low-level stuff
that saves a few CPU cycles here or there.  At the same time, sea of
low-level details you have to worry about like memory management and
const correctness tends to obscure the bigger issues like algorithmic
complexity.  STL makes some strides towards getting people to use
efficient algorithms, but it adds a whole layer of complexity of its own.

Python hides all the low-level stuff and lets you concentrate on the
problem you are trying to solve.  This might even lead to Python apps
running faster than C++ apps.  In a fixed amount of development time,
you get to think more about design and algorithms and less about memory
leaks, dangling pointers, const correctness, and whether you need to
write a copy constructor or not.

Python is also an interpreted language.  The advantage of this during
development and debugging are often grossly under-estimated.

I just make a trivial change to a single source file in a project I'm
working on and times how long it took to run make.  It took 1 minute, 41
seconds.  The vast majority of that time was make itself, recursing up
and down the directory tree to discover that nothing else had changed.
Had the change been to a core header file, I might have been waiting for
15 minutes while make recompiled the whole world.  With Python, I would
have been able to test my change in a matter of seconds.

When I'm developing in Python, I'm always firing up an interpreter and
trying out some code snippet.  It's so fast, it doesn't even break the
flow of what I was thinking of.  I do it all the time when I can't
remember what methods a particular object or data type has.  For
example, I just did:

roy% time python
Python 2.2 (#1, 07/14/02, 23:25:09)
[GCC Apple cpp-precomp 6.14] on darwin
>>> d = {}
>>> dir(d)
['__class__', '__cmp__', '__contains__', '__delattr__', '__delitem__',
'__eq__', '__ge__', '__getattribute__', '__getitem__', '__gt__',
'__hash__', '__init__', '__iter__', '__le__', '__len__', '__lt__',
'__ne__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__repr__', '__setattr__',
'__setitem__', '__str__', 'clear', 'copy', 'get', 'has_key', 'items',
'iteritems', 'iterkeys', 'itervalues', 'keys', 'popitem', 'setdefault',
'update', 'values']
>>> ^D
0.050u 0.090s 0:07.32 1.9%      0+0k 21+2io 0pf+0w

That's 7 seconds to remind myself what methods dictionaries have.
That's a lot faster than looking it up in a manual (or even on-line).
Quick, does an STL map<> support equal_range()?  How long will it take
you to look that up?  I bet it's more than 7 seconds.  These example may
not sound like much, but they add up when you consider how many times a
day you do things like this.