MingW question

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Mar 13 03:11:41 EST 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>  > I've failed miserably to create a line-coverage report with MSVC6
> for > my extension module under Windows.
>
>  >
>  > On the web I've found docs for GCC's gcov utility, and I was surprised
>  > how easy it was to create this info under Linux with gcc (which
>  > probably shows that I don't really know much about Linux ;-).
>  >
>  > From reading this list, I have the impression that it's simple (at
>  > least possible) to compile extensions with MingW for standard (MSVC
>  > compiled) Python.
>
> It is. All you need is
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/inst/non-ms-compilers.html
>

> and from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435
>
> install MinGW-2.0.0-3.exe.
>
>  > Is the gcov utility also available for MingW?
>
> gerhard at MEPHISTO ~
> $ ls /c/MinGW/bin/gcov.exe
> /c/MinGW/bin/gcov.exe
>
> Looks like it :-)
>
>  > Am I right that MingW runs
>  > under standard Windows (XP Pro in this case) without needing Cygwin?
>
> Yep. I've never used gcov und mingw, though.

It works, out of the box, for a simple exe-file - thanks for the hints.

One problem remains: I cannot compile my extension module (ctypes) with
it because there's too much MS specific stuff in it (for the Windows
version), but that's my own fault ;-).

>  Also, debugging extension
> modules is relatively hard under Windows using mingw.

I don't need it for this, but isn't it the same as under Linux (command
line gdb) ?

Thomas