threaded COM server problem (does wxPython work in a thread ?)

Alexander Eisenhuth stacom at stacom-software.de
Fri Mar 7 02:04:32 EST 2003

sunita Gupta schrieb:

>> =================
>> def run (configurationFile=None, excelComClient=None):
>>         pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_MULTITHREADED)
>>     gUIApp = myApp()
>>     gUIApp.MainLoop()
>>     pythoncom.CoUninitialize()
>>

>> Regards
>> Alexander
>>

> Doesn't wxPython want to be the top level thread while running?  I have
> tried the same approach ( I was using a debug build of wxPython which
> may have generated the particular error messages) and have gotten error
> messages to this effect.
>
> My solution was to spawn a new python process and have a threaded python
> com server just wait for completion.  i.e. I used pipes for I/O between
> the COM server and the python process.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Brian

AFAIK you can run wxPython in that thread, where you import the modules first,
but I'm not 100 % sure of pitfalls. But my approach works for a couple of times,
so it can't be totally wrong.

Maybe I've the time to ensure that wxPython is the problem and ask the community
with a little test script.

Thank you for your approach with the pipes, I was thinking about similar things,
maybe with pyro ...

Alexander