Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

phil hunt philh at cabalamat.org
Wed Mar 5 13:00:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:50:27 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

>At the moment, it's actually "fast enough", so this isn't an
>urgent concern.  On the other hand, our intention is to use this
>simulator to allow true test-driven development of embedded
>system code (which, I believe, may well be a "first"), and
>as we grow the number of tests we will doubtless become interested
>in better performance.  With the P3 machine we can run at 1/100
>the native CPU speed, but I'd like to see something an order of
>magnitude faster.

I'm sure the thought of re-coding it in C/C++ has occurred to you.

Writing a machine code emulator isn't something I'd
consider Python to be the natural choice for. And I doubt if the C
code would be much (if any) more complex.

--
|*|*|  Philip Hunt <philh at cabalamat.org>  |*|*|
|*|*|  "Memes are a hoax; pass it on"     |*|*|