GUI Toolkits

Alan McIntyre fusion at thuule.pair.com
Sun Mar 9 14:00:40 EST 2003

Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 12:15:56 +0000, Thomas G. Willis wrote:
>>I wanted to know if there are any reccomended GUI toolkits for python.
>
> wxPython is an excellent option.  www.wxPython.org.  Together with the
> Boa-constructor IDE you get a nice cross-platform RAD development
> environment with built-in debugging etc.

I'll second that. :)  Most of my software development experience has
been with Borland's C++ Builder, and (once I had learned a little
Python) putting together a couple of small applications with Boa was a
snap, since it behaves a lot like Delphi/Builder.  While it has some
quirks and bugs, I must say it's not too far from C++ Builder in that
department.

wxPython is also pretty easy to pick up, although it took me a little
time to get used to looking at wxWindows (C++) documentation to learn
how to use it. :)

So my opinion (which may be of questionable value) is that wxPython/Boa
is a nice combination.  I intend to use them for any future work I do
that (1) requires a GUI and (2) can be comfortably done in Python.

Hope this helps,
Alan McIntyre