Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Thu Mar 6 06:49:10 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>> Still this sounds like memory is the bottleneck ... You could try to
>> look at the cache misses for your process, if that is at all possible.
>
> Not knowing that much about Linux I'd be at a loss to do this on my
> own.  Any suggestions for where to look?  (And I'm just going to
> assume outright that it's infeasible under Win98. :-)

The tools I proposed do little else than query CPU-specific performance
registers. So there is no reason why this shouldn't be possible, even on
Win98. It may well be much easier to do it in Windows 98, because you need
special privileges to query these registers (on Linux, only the kernel can
do). Being the toy it is, I'd not be surprised if even a user-space program
could query performance registers on Windows 9x/ME :)

-- Gerhard