bsddb crashes on windows

Vijay Rao vijay at accellion.com
Thu Mar 6 05:36:59 EST 2003

I am using bssdb ( btree database ) from python 2.2 on windows. It works
fine except that it crashes when it becomes large ( more than 20000 keys of
fixed length 32 with large values (> 255)  ). The error message displayed
is like:

The instruction at 0x77fcb8f4 referenced memory at 0x00080105.
The memory could not be "written".

The crash happens during new key insertion or during iterating through the
database.
If the value is a small string then the crash is not so frequent.

I also tried using the hash db earlier but it has a problem that it doubles
in size every 10000 keys or so and becomes quite unmanageably large very soon.

Is there any workaround to this problem and what other database should I
use if this is not solvable. I need a database hash that can support
atleast  a million keys (of fixed size 32) and values that can be upto 1000
character strings.

vr