using a private embedded python

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Mar 31 19:10:00 EST 2003

Bryan wrote:
> my
> concern is what you mentioned...,  that other company products will want to
> use python or the python scripts i'm executing will want a module i haven't
> frozen.   so this option unfortunately seems too restrictive.

There are tools for Windows that will package up an application
together with its own private interpreter into a self-unpacking
archive. Usually they only include the modules used by that
application, however. If your application is intended to be
scripted in Python by the end user, you'd want to include all of
the standard library. I don't know whether these tools have an
option for that, possibly they do, you'd have to investigate.

Another possibility would be simply to state that users must
install a particular Python distribution, as supplied out of
the box, and not mess with it.

 > can you have two separate
 > versions of 2.2.2 on the machine at the same time?  on windows? on unix?

On Unix, yes, certainly, as long as you take care to install
them in different directories.

On Windows, you can certainly have *different* version numbers
installed system-wide simultaneously, but I don't know about
different copies of the *same* version. It must be possible
to have multiple "private" ones, since the abovementioned tools
manage it somehow.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,