Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Christopher A. Craig list-python at ccraig.org
Fri Mar 21 10:26:15 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> Carl Banks wrote:
>
> > I say redundancy is not required at all for a language, and most
> > languages have very little of it.  Sometimes what looks like
> > redundancy isn't really redundancy, but rather superfluousness.
>
> That sounds like a distinction without a difference.  It isn't
> redundancy because you choose not to call it redundancy, you'd rather
> call it superfluousness.

It's not redundancy because it doesn't a duplicate copy of information
found elsewhere in the sentence.  "these men" contains duplicate
copies of the fact that there is a plural subject, and thus is
redundant.  Verb tenses is the only thing that indicates tense and
thus is not redundant (nor, in my opinion, superfluous).  A better
example, imho, of superfluousness in English is articles.  "man went
to store" is perfectly clear.  True, it could have been "a man", "the
man", or "this man" but I think it resonable to presume that the
listener knew whether or not the man was definate.

--
Christopher A. Craig <list-python at ccraig.org>
"You could shoot Microsoft Office off the planet and this country would