Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

Stephen Kellett snail at objmedia.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 17:38:28 EST 2003

In message <mailman.1046894831.21781.python-list at python.org>, Gerhard
Haering <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> writes
>* Stephen Kellett <snail at objmedia.demon.co.uk> [2003-03-05 16:38 +0000]:
>> >These use different compilers. Microsoft Visual C++ vs. (most likely) gcc
>> >2.9.5.x.
>>
>> The Python on my Windows box is compiled using the Intel compiler, not
>> the Microsoft compiler.
>
>It may well be, if you compiled it yourself. But if you're using the one from
>python.org, it's compiled using MSVC6. Same for ActiveState last time I looked
>at it.

Nope, I downloaded it from Python.org.

The relevant function returns "MSC 32 bit (Intel)" - which I interpret
to mean the Intel compiler.

I've only ever heard the Microsoft compiler identified by people as
either "MSVC", "Developer Studio" or "Visual Studio", the last two being
inaccurate, but identifying the main product.

Thinking about this, I'm wrong, as the Python22.lib is linked against
the Microsoft multithread CRT dll, which of course Intel would provide
their own equivalent. So that pretty much proves its the Microsoft
compiler.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett