Strange rounding problem

Marc losnations at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 12:34:20 EST 2003

I have another question for the penguins. I understand now how this works.
I'm a little confused as to why. I'm sorry If I'm going over retreat ground,
but I can't find a good explanation of this anywhere.

I completely understand that if you evalute 1/3 then you get a number that
goes off into infinity asymptotically approaching a value of 1. And then
when you evaluate that number the system will print as many numbers as you
can handle, and then round.

But I didn't make a calculation to achieve this number. I entered it to be
an exact value. Now I understand that when a float is used it must be
represented by a fixed number of binary digits. In the things I have read,
this has been cited as the reason for why things get magically rounded. By I
know that binary digits aren't incapable of holding exact numbers. If that
were true, there wouldn't be an accurate computer in the world. So I still
don't understand that if I enter a number to be an exact value of .00000096,
why it can't be stored as 9.60000000e-007?

Thanks,
Marc

news:st0bk-2j3.ln1 at beastie.ix.netcom.com...