Summary of PEP 308 Vote for a Ternary Operator

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Mar 10 22:15:18 EST 2003

Stephen Horne wrote:

> Funny that this differs so much from the complimentary vote. Obviously
> fewer people voted on that, but I'm wondering if there was some
> self-selection biassing process going on in one or both votes (e.g.
> maybe the no-change crowd care more on average, and were therefore
> more willing to put time into a second vote).
>
> Any thoughts?

I suspect there is a strong selection effect taking place here; I know I
didn't bother voting on the unofficial vote.  It may well that people
who were in favor of the PEP didn't bother voting in the second one
simply because they felt that they had invested enough time selecting
their favored forms in the first vote that it wasn't worth the effort to
repeat it again, whereas more people against the PEP were willing to
vote again because it required little effort and they felt so strongly.

Who knows?  But I'll bet some wise guy's solution to the discrepancy
will be to suggest another vote.

/  \ Oh, what lies there are in kisses.
\__/ Heinrich Heine
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.