A fun tool for demonstrating or teaching python?

Tim Gahnström /Bladerman tim at bladerman.com
Mon Mar 10 18:19:02 EST 2003

"Simon Burton" <simonb at webone.com.au>
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:30:27 +0000, WP wrote:
>
> > There was a discussion (I found it using groups.google.com) a while ago
with
> > some people interested in building a very easy-to-use IDE for teaching
Python,
> > possibly even with Kids.

> > Anybody got any recommendations on where to start?  So far I'm leaning
> > towards wxPython and maybe PythonCard.  The system would either be a
> > hyper-card like tool using Python, or perhaps it would be a Python Logo,
> > with the code window on the bottom and a graphics window on the top.

> pygame cause i've had trouble with other stuff on the various platforms i
> need it for. (haven't tried wx yet...)

I am doing a similar project and have had some thoughts about using pygame
as part of the project to give the students a good ground for building their
games and stuf but my current questions is if it is overkill?

Are al the features of pygame more confusing then helping to a beginner? Is
that maybe later on for more advanced students? It is an interesting
question that I havn' t yet answered. "Wat features are begginer looking for
(or able to grasp) in the graphics departement". The answer might ofcourse
depend on their age but my curren opinion is geared towards that they really
don't ask fore more then the basics, thats what I wanted when I started I
think.

Tim