Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Mar 19 22:12:44 EST 2003

Isaac To wrote:

> No.  You should look at the various web sites explaining "why
> Esperanto is
> not my favourite auxiliary language".  All of them understand that it
> is
> supposed to be a second language, but still they think it is not as
> easily
> learnt as it should be, especially for non-Europeans.

This "all" qualification is a little too much.  It may well be that some
Esperanto detractors do not like it.  However, a lot of the casual
indifference/ridicule of Esperanto I've seen are from people who don't
know what an auxiliary language is, and have simply heard that Esperanto
is intended to be a primary language that is forced on them from
without, rather than a secondary language for all to learn.

Whether you're fond of Esperanto's design or not is beside the point --
it _is_ true that a large proportion of the people who have bad things
to say about Esperanto don't really know what it is.

/  \ Ten lands are sooner known than one man.
\__/ (a Yiddish proverb)
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.