copy a list

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Mar 12 06:34:49 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:12:18 GMT, rumours say that Alex Martelli
<aleax at aleax.it> might have written:

>The copy operation, whether you perform it in the usual way you have
>written or in the equivalent and more readable way B = list(A), is
>_EXTREMELY_ unlikely to account for any significant slice of your
>program's running time.

I can't remember now for sure, but I think in the B. W. Kernigan
co-authored book "Elements of Programming Style" (aka "don't be too
clever") there was an exercise about sorting an array, with the
following subexercises:

- For N < 10, prove that the array set-up time is insignificant.

- For N > 10, prove that the array set-up time is insignificant.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
bofh at sil-tec.gr
(I'm a postmaster luring spammers; please spam me!
...and my users won't ever see your messages again...)