IME withTix on multilanguagesupported system ?

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 3 07:23:23 EST 2003

"vincent wehren" <v.wehren at home.nl> writes:

> Maybe original poster could also explain *why* he needs an "Input Method
> Editor" for Vietnamese - as Vietnamese - and this just occurred to me - is
> just a regular keyboard mapping on Windows? Vietnamese is a non-complex ,
> single-byte character set (at least on W2K where both CP and ACP are
> 1258)....

I think all the user did was to install a Vietnamese keyboard
layout. You can have multiple of those, and it is quite convenient to
use multiple keyboard layouts simultaneously, if you are typing
different languages in different windows.

I don't know how involved the Vietnamese IME is - but is is surely not
of the "one key stroke - one character" kind of entering: Vietnamese
uses more accent markers than French, German, and Danish combined, so
(I believe) you can't put each character on a separate key. See

http://vietpad.sourceforge.net/inputmethod.html

for a few common IMEs for Vietnamese (not sure why none of these uses
designated dead key letters).

> I am getting the strong  feeling that if he'd switch the default language
> settings on his system (control panel > regional options > General >
> Language settings for the system > Vietnamese (needs to be "checked") > Set
> Default) and reboot it just might work...

That might be the case, but is surely unsatisfying: it effectively
means that you cannot use the "multiple keyboard layouts" feature of
Win2k with Tk.

Regards,
Martin