asyncore.loop As A Win32 Service

Giles Brown giles_brown at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 03:25:11 EST 2003

John Abel <johnfabel at btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1048529848.24545.python-list at python.org>...
> I'm writing a service, and have come across a problem with
> asyncore.loop.  There doesn't seem to be a way for it to interrupted,
> when the service is issued a stop.  To get round this with a similar
> program using SocketServer, before executing handle_request I checked
> for connections with select.select().  The way I'm thinking of doing it,
> is to override asyncore.loop, set an event, launch the new asyncore.loop
> in a thread, and replace the while 1 in asyncore.loop with a check for
> the event.  Does that sound about the right to go about it?

If you have a look at the medusa/thread/select_trigger.py file (get the
CVS one if possible as the release isn't very up to date) at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oedipus/

You will see another way of doing it.  This uses a trick where the
code internally sets up a pair of connected sockets.  You can then
wake up (trigger) the thread with the asyncore.loop in it by writing
to the one of the connected sockets.

Hth,
Giles Brown