Rudeness (was: Re: OT: Aspergers link)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Mar 17 23:12:41 EST 2003

Steve Holden wrote:

> "Eric Stechmann" <estechmann at advresp.com> wrote in message
> >          However, I apologize for taking up bandwidth with my "cruft."
> >          I should have e-mailed Mr Banks directly rather than posting
> >          to the group.  That would no doubt have been better for all
> >          parties concerned.  A lesson learned.
>
> I don't think anybody takes issue with your right to say what you think.
> It's simply that companies like your employer, forcing you as they
> apparently do to add large amounts of information (irrelevant in this
> context) at the end of each post, drown your opinions in a sea of irrelevant
> verbiage.

It's my considered, though not legally binding :-), opinion that such
pseudo-legalese is probably worse than useless, counter-productive to
its intended purpose, and in no way legally binding upon any recipient,
intended or otherwise.  They only make the poster, I'm sorry to say,
look quite foolish, merely because of the idiocy of his/her employer.
Not Eric's fault, but perhaps posting via an open Usenet link or
something would avoid the issue, especially if he intends to remain
mostly lurking.  Also avoids any bad feeling rubbing off on his employer,
about which they surely should be more concerned...

> That said, I'm glad you took the trouble to reply to Peter (despite the
> somewhat petulant tone :-) and didn't take your own advice. You're just as
> entitled to your say as me or anyone else. And I'm sure Peter has no beef
> with your reply either (right, Peter?)

No beef at all.  Actually, kudos to Eric for a very reasonable reply to
my rude posting.  My only advice to him: in future, realize that publicly
proclaiming your act of killfiling somebody vastly reduces the effectiveness
of the act.  It's commonly believed that anyone who is willing to waste
their time *saying* they're doing that, never actually does it.  Also,
the rest of us really don't care who killfiles whom, so it's inherently
off-topic.  Oh!  Like this post too!  Apologies... I think I'll go read
what Cliff has to say now. ;-)

-Peter