OT: Recommended Linux Laptops, suppliers?

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 18 20:08:19 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 16:06, Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:
> Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote previously:
> |I have no real problem with Apple other than their pricing.
>
> I think you are still on a wrong track here, Cliff.  I've followed all
> the links posted in this thread, and I have not seen anything listing a
> lower priced Intel/AMD/Transmeta PC than an equivalent Apple.
>
> The key thing here is to look at what is EQUIVALENT.  For me, Pystones
> (or other benchmarks) are very low on my list of desired laptop
> features.  It is quite true that you simply cannot buy an Apple laptop
> with the CPU performance of even a moderately-priced x86.  And the
> closest you can come is to buy Apple's extremely pricey top end.
>
> But it is also true that you CANNOT buy an x86 laptop that weighs less
> than 5lbs and has a battery that lasts 4 hours for less than $1500[*].

This is certainly true.  These two are always the killer on the Intel
platforms.

> Especially not one that includes an internal CD drive.  If those are
> your criteria, an iBook is your least expensive choice.  The ultralight
> PCs though, do also have somewhat lower performance than their heavier
> siblings (i.e. closer to Apples).
>
> It's not mostly CPU speed that costs money.  Weight costs money
> (inversely), and battery life costs money.  And screen size (where
> Apples only do moderately well per dollar).

Okay, point taken.   At least for notebooks <wink>

<everyone>
"Finally!"
</everyone>

> Yours, Lulu...
>
> [*] I have the strange feeling someone is going to quote me a year from
> now, when my numbers are dramatically inaccurate.  Blah, blah, I mean
> new price, today's date, etc.

Damn, and I was going to hold on to this to get even later...

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)