Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at attbi.com
Tue Mar 11 09:20:50 EST 2003

hasoob2003 at yahoo.com (Hasoob  ahs) wrote in message news:<37a869bc.0303102102.4533973 at posting.google.com>...
> Would you be comfortable?. Your answer may help me decide between
> strong and weak typing. I prefer an answer of yes or no followed by an
> explanation.

Yes.  The choice of language doesn't affect the need for exhaustive
testing, and I think python can be just as reliable as anything else
if you do it right.

Until python I was a strong proponent of strong typing, but now I
think it causes more problems than it solves.  All the strongly typed
languages end up implementing something like templates solely to get
around the problems caused by strong typing, and you end up with a
complicated mess like C++.  (I actually like C++, but it really is
complicated and a bit of a mess).