Sorry ...

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Wed Mar 5 09:58:09 EST 2003

Peter Hansen schreef op dinsdag  4 maart om 23:46:33 +0000:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> >
> > Lance LaDamage wrote:
> >
> > > If I shocked you by my various errors, it's because one thing ... and
> > > prepare for the shock ... :
> > >
> > > I am an 11 year old child who enjoys to program in Visual Basic and have

Lance,

you are very lucky to have found Python. I was two years later than
you are. I learned the basic concepts by 'programming for kids with
Superlogo for Windows by Addo Stuur'. It's great fun to program
in Python; I'm currently working on a Commander-Keen-alike game
myself (http://pybrian.sourceforge.net). I can tell you: it's great
fun. We are all prepared to help you when problems arise, but
don't bee afraid to dive deep into Python; after all, at 11, you
have a lot of time compared to 'us elderly people' ;)

Congratulations!

> > I'm impressed!  You're definitely a far better programmer than I
> > was at your age...

Probably, sure. This is very promising.

> Alex, we didn't have anything like Python when we were his age. ;-)

I could have had, and now I'm seventeen ;).
But seriously, I couldn't have learned Python when I was 11, because
I lacked the knowledge in English. If a good tutorial in my native,
Dutch language had existed, and graphics programming would have been
a bit easier by then (for writing small games), I'd probably have
discovered Python (especially because Guido worked approx. 1
kilometer away when I was 11 :).

yours,
Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/