Orange (was: [Spambayes] Non-email use of the spambayes project)

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Fri Mar 28 15:22:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 23:55, Fredrik Rodland wrote:
> > important I think is to document how to use it as I did.  So much
> > of what is
> > there now is so strongly tied to classifying email messages that it's easy
> > to lose sight of how well it can be applied to other
> > classifcation problems.
> Totally agree!
> also, for us who're not completely into Python, it would be great with some
> sort of cookbook/skeletons/APIs available and documented.  I tried to read
> your original code, but gave up after a while.  I have a similar situation,
> having a database with 100.000 people in it, with quite a few rows not being
> real persons.  It'd be gresat to try to use the spambayes code on this.

The Orange project, developed at the University of Ljubljana, is well
worth a look. It is a Python framework and collection of modules (many
of them C extension modules) for learning about data mining and machine
learning techniques. It includes facilities for a number of supervised
and non-supervised classification methods apart from the naive Bayes
classifier, such as (quoting the Orange Web site) "classification trees,
k-NN, majority classifier, support vector machines, logistic regression.
Ensemble methods like boosting and bagging are also included ."

It is quite well documented and now even has a GUI interface. Code is
GPLed. See http://magix.fri.uni-lj.si/orange/

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0