Compiling Python with MinGW

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Thu Mar 20 19:17:56 EST 2003

* Mark Hadfield <m.hadfield at niwa.co.nz> [2003-03-21 12:04 +1200]:
> "Jason Harper" <JasonHarper at pobox.com> wrote in message
> news:3E7A09CD.2CD12858 at pobox.com...
> > Has anybody had any luck compiling Python 2.3 (NOT just Python
> > extensions) for Windows 2000 using MinGW or other free compilers?  I
> > want to try something that involves modifications to the core, and don't
> > particularly want to pay Microsoft for the privilege...
> >
> > Just for fun, I tried disabling the posix module and continuing with the
> > make.  I was able to get a python.exe that is runnable, but not usable -
>
> I'm speaking from a position of profound ignorance here, but don't you need
> to enable an appropriate os module: to the best of my recollection this is
> ntmodule.

Yes. You need to compile posixmodule.c but it's internal name needs to
be ntmodule. That's one of the hard things to get right. Other
problematic areas are selectmodule and threading. Nothing spectacular,
only getting the right #defines set.

When I'll find the time, I'll tackle this again.

I think I'll then just ignore all the autoconf madness and try to get it
compiled using a modified .h file from the PCbuild directory and a
custom-written Makefile.

Gerhard
mail:   gh at ghaering.de
web:    http://ghaering.de/