When Python outruns C++ ...

Max Khesin max at cNOvSisiPonAtecMh.com
Mon Mar 31 19:37:29 EST 2003

I personally question such beliefs 'a priori' from language design
perspective but justify them retrospectively in terms of soft
engineering/economis. What I mean is the following: a language that gives
you more of an access to the machine architecture (whether you like it or
not) is capable of no less optimization (and most likely more) than a
language that is further removed from it. Python vs. C is a particularly
poigniant example since Python is a C program. On a minute level such C++
techniques as compile-time loop unwinding, great control over memory
allocation, potential direct access to registers/special processor
instrucitons will still give you great advantage in areas such as image
processing. On the other hand, for many things that do not require great
speed or, considering programmer from an economic perspective, make slow
program + fast hardware more cost-effective, languages such as Python are
very appealing, end run-on sentence.

Max Khesin, software developer -
max at cNvOiSsPiAoMntech.com
[check out our image compression software at www.cvisiontech.com, JBIG2-PDF