Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Levente Sandor sandorlevi at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 00:23:32 EST 2003

Jack Diederich <jack at performancedrivers.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1048114477.31951.python-list at python.org>...
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:33:30PM +0000, Andy Jewell wrote:
> > Just thought I'd throw the cat amongst the pigeons...  I just occurred to me
> > that Python is designed to be elegant from the ground-up, and takes many of
> > the 'best' features of many other programming languages, but always with
> > elegance in mind, similarly to Esperanto, which is designed to be a 'regular'
> > (i.e. elegant) human language, and draws its vocabulary from many different
> > spoken languages.
>
> -1 Troll.
>
>   I would wager there are more people using python than know Esperanto!

Google says:
Searched the web for python language.   Results 1 - 10 of about
663,000
Searched the web for esperanto.   Results 1 - 10 of about 1,260,000

I partly agree with Andy's analogy, but I think it would be hard to
extend that to other languages. Esperanto isn't a natural language and
there's no such a difference between Python and other programming
languages like Esperanto's elegance and simplicity compared to other
(human) languages.
(Assembly may be an exception, though :)

----
levi