ANNOUNCE: MyHDL 0.1

Phil Tomson ptkwt at shell1.aracnet.com
Tue Mar 11 16:45:39 EST 2003

In article <2ae25c6b.0303111208.45f791d6 at posting.google.com>,
Paddy McCarthy <paddy3118 at netscape.net> wrote:
>Jan Decaluwe <jan at jandecaluwe.com> wrote in message
>news:<mailman.1047070861.23261.clpa-moderators at python.org>...
>> I am happy to announce the initial public release of MyHDL, a
>> Python package for using Python as a hardware description language.
>>
>> This may be of interest to:
>> - Pythoneers interested in applications of Python generators
>> - hardware designers interested in the wonders of Python
>>
>> You can find it at http://jandecaluwe.com/Tools/MyHDL/Overview.html.
>>

>I should explain that I have been in Electronic Design and Electronic
>Design Automation for too many decades. I've written CAD utilities as
>well as supported Simulators for many years, (going back to the days
>of Daisy-Mentor-Valid).
>
>I had noticed various other HDL-as-part-of-scripting-language projects
>such as Ruby and RHDL: http://www.eedesign.com/story/OEG20020807S0019

Oh yeah, RHDL ;-)  Like I said in my previous post, I've got to work on
some better RHDL docs (maybe over spring break).  Competition is always a
good motivator :)

>There are also two SWIG wrappers for Python that allow Python to
>interact with a simulator via the PLI:
>http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~pinhong/scriptEDA/ and
>http://www.nelsim.com/index.html
>
>When I think of Verification scripting tools, features that come to
>mind are constrained random generation of data, weighted random
>generation, collection of coverage data, debugging environment, and
>dynamic property checking.
>
>MyHDL does have a long way to go but it is a start, and who knows -
>maybe new ways of taming the verification explosion may appear if
>people don't have to fight the Verification language itself.
>

>P.S: A peak at the testbuilder C++ library:
>http://www.testbuilder.net/ might prove inspirational.
>
>P.P.S: Can anyone tell me if the CUDD package as packaged in PyCudd
>can be used for constrained random generation of integers?

I don't know about PyCudd, but I've got it working with Ruby (RuCudd?) -
wrapped it using Swig.  If you're interested let me know and I could send
you the .i files for swig. (NOTE: it's not 100% complete, but very usable
at this point).

Phil