username cgi

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Wed Mar 19 12:29:45 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 05:17:20PM +0000, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <do-not-spam-ben.hutchings at businesswebsoftware.com> writes:
>
> > In article <b54oha$1avjo$1 at baligan2.unicaen.fr>, Anthony Paul wrote:
> > > I am writing a forum on intranet using python. I don't want my users
> > > have to enter their username when they will add a message, so I need to
> > > read the %username% environment variable of the workstations (they're
> > > running win2k).
> > > Is it possible ?
> > > I found a solution about REMOTE_USER but it needs web
> > > authentification...
> > It's possible, as long as the server is IIS and the browser is IE.
> > Just configure IIS to use Integrated Windows Authentication, and the
> > username should show up in REMOTE_USER.  If you're using standard web
> > software then I think you're out of luck.
>
> There's also REMOTE_IDENT. You need the other end to be running an
> authd - see RFC 1413 - server for that to work.

  I don't know what kind of environment this will be used in, but relying on
ident for security is almost always a recipe for failure.

  I'd think hard before using this solution.

  Jp

--
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and
weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and