Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Isaac To kkto at csis.hku.hk
Fri Mar 21 13:30:00 EST 2003

    Jedi> Ooh, OK, I'll bite. :)

    Jedi> By what criteria has Python 'succeeded'? By what criteria has
    Jedi> Esperanto 'failed'? I'd love to know.

Esperanto's mission is grand: the hope is that it can be a "fallback
language" when you find somebody you cannot communicate with using any
natural languages that you choose.  After around 100 years of its creation,
it is still in a status that unless I actively seek, I won't expect anyone I
meet to even have heard of the language (or even the concept of an auxillary
language), let alone having to study it.  And for those who really have
studied it, many finally quitted after a while.  I see this as a complete
failure to its original mission.  And until that happens, the only use of
the language is as a hobby, so the language is pretty much useless now.

On the other hand, Python have a much simpler goal: to be a useful
supplement to other programming language that one would love to use to speed
up the development.  That is amply achieved.

Regards,
Isaac.