generators and exceptions

Dimitris Garanatsios dg96057 at teledomenet.gr
Sat Mar 15 20:46:16 EST 2003

Clark C. Evans wrote:
> Hello, I'm playing with 2.2 generators, and it seems
> that they don't like exceptions...
>
> <code>
>
> Anyway, this _only_ prints out 4, instead of 4, 2
> as I expected.  I expect 4, 2 beacuse an equivalent
> iterator would produce 4, 2. <...>

To which particular "equivalent iterator" are you refering to and why is
it supposed to produce "4, 2"? One of us is propably missing something
here...
Anyway, i don't see a way to yield a value of 2 from this example.

> <...> It seems that generators
> die on the first exception... <...>

Actually, the exception is never raised. Using a print statement instead
of pass in the try...except block will verify this. The reason is that
the second call to the next() method continues execution just after the
yield statement, which was responsible for the printed value 4. Then it
sets val = -1 and goes for the second loop which exits immediately
raising a StopIteration exception (again, a print statement reveals
that). After that, we reach to the end.

I suspect though, that "val =- 1" is a typoed "val = 1", in which case
the exception will get raised without causing any problems to your
generator ;-)

> <...> is there a way around
> this? <...>

Sneeze carefully! :-)