Fast URL validation?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Mar 11 17:36:06 EST 2003

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Use httplib and the 'HEAD' command. HEAD is intended for just that.

I use HEAD for most of my Web validation system.  It should be noted
that several Web servers have been configured to reject HEAD requests,
probably out of (unwarranted) paranoia.  The most robust solution would
be a mechanism which uses HEAD and then falls back to a full GET if the
HEAD request gives a suspicious response.

/  \ Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
\__/ Oscar Wilde
    Bosskey.net: Quake III Arena / http://www.bosskey.net/q3a/
 A personal guide to Quake III Arena.