no setup.py in unzipped Distutils

Donnal Walter donnal at donnal.net
Wed Mar 19 12:08:31 EST 2003

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Donnal Walter <donnal at donnal.net> writes:
 >
>>This appears to work fine *except* that when I unzip the resulting
>>archive file, there is no setup.py script file, so how does the end
>>user run "python setup.py install" from the Mindwrapper-0.1.01
>>directory? Thanks.
>

> Are you using Windows? There's a difference whether you run
>   'setup.py sdist'
> or
>   'c:\python22\python setup.py sdist'
>
> I don't know if this is also the case on non-Windows systems.

Yes, I am using Windows, and as far as I can tell the same thing happens
with either of the two commands you mention above. OTOH I did not delete
the default manifest created by disutils between trials, so that may
have influenced the second trial. But I did take a look at the manifest
that was created and manually added setup.py to it, and now it works.
Thank you for helping me think my way through this problem.

Donnal Walter