Question regarding a recent article on informit.com

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Mar 19 14:15:31 EST 2003

Ben S wrote:

> An article called "Examining Python 2.3: New Additions" on
> www.informit.com had the following to say:
>
> "Python now includes iterators, generators, list comprehensions, nested
> scopes, type unification-and complete Unicode compatibility. The older
> functional programming style constructs, such as map, filter, reduce,
> and lambda are deprecated, even if it's unlikely that they will
> disappear. "
>
> Is this second sentence true, or is that just an opinion from someone
> who favours the imperative style to the functional style? What else
> could have been meant by this?

I would think that if code using map, filter, etc. are run through
the 2.3 interpreter and a deprecation warning is not produced, then
by definition (or what *should* be the definition), they are not
officially "deprecated".  I haven't tried that myself, nor do I know
how many would argue with this definition...

-Peter