How to get IP address

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Sun Mar 2 09:06:06 EST 2003

>Nagy László Zsolt <nagylzs at freemail.hu> wrote in message news:<mailman.1046487302.8558.python-list at python.org>...
>

>>I'm trying to get all inet addresses of a machine in python. Is there a
>>way to do it using
>>the standard library? I found a solution on Google and in Python
>>CookBook but they
>>are platform dependent. I need a platform-independent solution. Thank
>>you in advance.
>>
>>  Laci 1.0
>>

>How about this?  I only have one IP on my box so I do not know if this
>will work for you..
>
>socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())
>
>You could probably use the loopback as the parameter, like:
>
>socket.gethostbyaddr('localhost')
>
>Both of these will return a tuple in the form of (hostname, aliaslist,
>ipaddrlist).  This is in 7.2 of the Python docs if you need to check
>other variations.

Sorry, but this does not help me. I want to determine the IP address
because I want to send my external
IP address to a dynamic DNS provider (in an A record). I get my IP
address with DHCP and I'm
writting a program that assigns a DNS name to a given IP address. So my
hostname may have a bad IP address
assigned at the time when I need the IP address. IP address is a lower
level than DNS name. I can have an IP
address without hostname. Can you tell me a solution in the case when I
have no valid DNS name?
Thanks.

  Laci 1.0